I have had the absolute pleasure to present a few Resilience workshops recently. They’re usually called “Stress Management training” for the client because that’s what people are used to. Yet, as the old saw goes, “prevention is the best cure”. It’s far easier to build resilience in yourself and your team, rather than try to manage tons of stress after it’s built up a lot.
One of the key factors in building and maintaining resilience is the way we influence ourselves. The influence skills we’ve been talking about in this blog are just as relevant for your inner world and personal life, as they are for professional success.
Some of the key elements that are so helpful for resilience are
- Identifying F Responses (fight, flight or freeze) in yourself and intentionally applying “R Responses” (relax, recharge and refocus)
- Giving yourself feedforward rather than scathing feedback when you can
- Focusing on clear, inspiring goals
- The “yes and” approach embedded in Improvisational Leadership
- Soothing images, like the ones I’ve posted
- And of course, “Influence your mood”
Build your resilience and thrive!