A Roadmap for Living Into Your Best DNA
Self-discovery can be a blast. There’s nothing like figuring out what you’re really good at to energize your day-to-day tasks, or to give you the boost you need to move to the next level.
Over the past several months we’ve been working through Best DNA, and if you’ve been doing the brainstorm activities (Passion, Strengths, Value Add, Principles, Purpose, and finally Best DNA Motto brainstorms) you’ve probably made some very exciting realizations.
Your Best DNA may ultimately guide you to change directions in life. You may even make some big adjustments, if that’s the right thing for you.
But before you quit your job and start breeding pygmy goats, or sell your house to take trapeze lessons and join the circus, I’d like to offer some ideas for easing into your Best DNA. (And I happen to know first-hand that those cirque troops are extremely selective.)
It’s all about taking small steps in the right direction. Even small things can get the ball rolling, and help you learn more about yourself and what works best for you. I always suggest starting this way because it’s much easier to start with something small and build up momentum.
At this point, you’re also experimenting-discovering if this really your Best DNA before you take a big risk. What if you jump into a whole new job and discover that you don’t like it after all?
Here are a few ideas to get you started:
- Discuss your Best DNA Motto with people who can support you, and get feedback on how it fits you.
- List tasks, roles and projects you currently work on that are aligned with your Best DNA and make you feel good. Brainstorm ways to do more of these kinds of Best DNA-aligned activities.
- List up to 5 tasks, roles and projects that do not fit your Best DNA and are draining to you. Brainstorm ways to do less of these kinds of activities. (i.e., trade with others who do like the task, delegate, automate, or get help)
- Find hobbies and volunteer opportunities that align with your Best DNA.
- Look for a life or career coach to help you find additional ways to fulfill your core purpose.
- Identify one small action you can take today, and every day, that will free you up from an activity that drags you down.
When you start taking actions that align with your best DNA, you will get even better at your career. Eventually this will lead to you getting paid more for what you love doing.
But let me clarify this: NOBODY lives in his or her Best DNA 100% of the time. As human beings, we are just not capable of living permanently in that passionate mode. We need downtime, and it is important to honor the other parts of who we are. Life also necessitates occasional drudgery and doing things we don’t love. We have to pay the bills, get the house cleaned, do the grocery shopping, and clean up after the goats.
For example, I have spent years in the same career of training and consulting, but now I do a lot more public speaking-which I LOVE doing. In order to get the speaking gigs I love, I have to create proposals, do some marketing, and even do sales. And let me tell you, that is NOT in my Best DNA. However, I know how crucial these tasks are in order for me to reach my ideal life. I try to outsource as much as possible. When I have to handle some of it, I keep my eye on the big picture to keep myself motivated.
Living into your Best DNA will ultimately transform you over time and build a foundation for big changes. With a daily practice of taking a small, mindful action in the right direction, you will eventually be living a life of fulfillment.
Next month we’ll talk about how to help others live into their Best DNA. In the meantime, I would love to hear your feedback. Just post a comment below!
Visit BestDNA.com to learn more! Through the end of 2016, I’m offering the online assessment at a special price of only $19!
If you’re eager for more, watch this video on Using Best DNA to Help Determine Your Personal Brand.
Posted In: Uncategorized